While I was driving to work today, I thought .. how many hours do I spend to go back and forth to office? Hm.. 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.. So about 40 hours a month, or equal to 480 hours a year. That means I spend 20 days a year as a waste on the road.
How can we manage this traffic in Jakarta, I thought. Jakarta has a terrible traffic jam because of several reasons: 1. Uncivilized drivers and road users 2. not enough roads, too many vehicles. 3. Bottlenecks everywhere.
So here is my brilliant idea. We can have time differential in our working time. Lets face it, the most traffic jam happened in the morning and evening where people rush to go to work and when they are going home. Hence, we can have differential working time.
This is the proposal:
1. Students go to school at 6 oclock. Go home at 1.30 pm.
2. The government employees go to work at 10.30 and go home at 3.00pm since they are not doing so much stuff.
3. Bosses comes at 12 o’clock and go home at 7.30pm since they play golfs in the morning and have dinner with their clients before going home.
4. Bankers should be divided in two. One who handle transactions for normal customers, work from 10-3pm. The ones that handle financial transaction and forex should work according to London and NewYork Trading time. Therefore, some may work overnight.
5.Truckies, deliveries, and other heavy vehicles should be allowed to be on the road only at 7pm up until 5am. Therefore, they will not disturb other road users.
6.Lecturers and teachers should follow the student timetable, and have flexible hours. No teaching, do not have to go to work. These people should be given enough facilities to work at home.
7. Other workers/employees should heave the same treatment. They only need to go to work when there is a meeting, or other important stuff that make them have to be in office. Even then, the meeting time can only be done from 11 am to 4 pm. Normally, they should have DISTANT WORKING or WORKING from HOME. Any work done should be transmitted via internet or local network. Thus, reduce the traffic.
All in all, people should maximize their works at home, reduce travelling, and follow the working time rules. I would say, that will reduce the traffic alot since we divide the usage proportionally from dusk till dawn.